Languages:

Phone: +30 2752028021, +30 2752025562

  • 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg

Sights

Archaeological Site of Epidaurus

Archaeological site of Epidaurus

In the peaceful hinterland of Epidaurus, with its mild climate and abundant mineral springs, is the sanctuary of the god-physician Asklepios, the most famous healing centre of the Greek and Roman world. The sanctuary belonged to the small coastal town of Epidaurus, but its fame and recognition quickly spread beyond the limits of the Argolid. It is considered the birthplace of medicine and is thought to have had more than two hundred dependent spas in the eastern Mediterranean. Its monuments, true masterpieces of ancient Greek art, are a precious testimony to the practice of medicine in antiquity. Indeed they illustrate the development of medicine from the time when healing depended solely on the god until systematic description of cases and the gradual accumulation of knowledge and experience turned it into a science.

The area was devoted to the cult of healing deities since Prehistory. A Mycenaean sanctuary dedicated to a healing goddess stands on the Kynortion hill, northeast of the theatre. It was founded in the sixteenth century BC over the remains of a settlement of the Early and Middle Bronze Age (2800-1800 BC), and functioned until the eleventh century BC. Unlike other sanctuaries of this period, it is unusually large. This early sanctuary was replaced c. 800 BC by another, dedicated to Apollo, a god with healing abilities, worshipped here as Apollo Maleatas. The worship of Asklepios, the sanctuary's main healing god, traditionally considered as the indigenous son of Apollo and Koronis, granddaughter of Malos, king of Epidaurus, was established in the sixth century BC. Asklepios, protector of human health and personal happiness, was a very popular deity with an ever-increasing number of worshippers. The sanctuary at Kynortion was quickly overwhelmed by a great number of visitors, so a new sanctuary was founded in the plain, approximately one kilometre northwest of Kynortion Hill, on the site where, according to the myth, Asklepios was born. The two sanctuaries, one dedicated to Apollo Maleatas and the other to Asklepios, were subsequently known under the common name of 'Sanctuary of Apollo Maleatas and Asklepios'.

The new sanctuary developed around the Sacred Well, which was later incorporated into the portico of the Abaton, and in the area of Building E, where the first ash altar and the site of ritual feasting were located. The well played an important role in the healing process, which included cleansing and enkoimesis, or hypnosis, of the patients near its waters. The enkoimesis emulated the periodical death and rebirth of divine powers after they returned inside the earth - the source of life. The god appeared to a patient during his enkoimesis, which corresponded to periodic death, advising him on the treatment he should follow.

Continuous warfare and misery in the fourth and third centuries BC led people to seek even more the protection and help from Asklepios, the philanthropist god, making the sanctuary one of the richest of its time. Several important buildings were erected in both the mountain and plain sanctuaries during this period: the Classical temple, the altar of Apollo, the Great Stoa, the priests' residence and the Temenos of the Muses in the former; the temple of Asklepios, the Abaton, the Tholos, the theatre, the stadium, the Banqueting Hall and the hostel in the latter. The Asklepion suffered from the raids of Sulla and of Cilician pirates in the first century BC, but flourished again in Imperial times and particularly in the second half of the second century AD, when the Roman consul Antonine financed the refurbishment of old buildings and the construction of new ones. Pausanias visited the sanctuary and admired its monuments, which he described in detail (2, 26), during this period. In the following centuries the sanctuary was razed several times and suffered particularly under the Goths in 267 AD. In the mid-fourth century BC, the plain sanctuary was refurbished one last time and a portico connecting many of the existing buildings was constructed at its centre according to Roman fashion. Despite the 426 AD official ban on ancient pagan religions, worship continued in the sanctuary until it was abandoned following the destructive earthquakes of 522 and 551 AD.

The Asklepion of Epidaurus was first investigated by the French Scientific Expedition of the Peloponnese in 1829. P. Kavvadias of the Greek Archaeological Society excavated the site in 1870-1926, uncovering the sanctuary's most important monuments. Limited excavations were conducted by G. Roux of the French School at Athens in the area of the Abaton and in Buildings E and H in 1942-43, and by I. Papadimitriou of the Greek Archaeological Service in 1948-1951. A. Orlandos undertook the restoration of the theatre in 1954-1963. New excavations by the Archaeological Society are in progress at the sanctuary of Apollo Maleatas under Professor V. Lambrinoudakis since 1974, while a special committee of the Ministry of Culture founded in 1984 under the name of Work Group for the Restoration of the Monuments of Epidaurus (currently Committee for the Restoration of the Monuments of Epidaurus) oversees the conservation and presentation of the monuments in both sanctuaries. Recent work at the Asklepieion has both radically altered the aspect of the archaeological site and provided new evidence for the spatial organization, chronology and use of several buildings.

Information

Τelephone: +30 27530 22009, 22666
Fax: +30 27530 23234

Tickets

  • Full: €8
  • Reduced: €4

Free admission days

  • Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
  • The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September (when the first Sunday is holiday, then the second is the free admission day.)
  • 27 September, International Tourism Day
  • Free admission for:
  • University students from Greece and the E.U.

Komboloi Museum

Category: Special Interests
Prefecture: Argolida
City: Nafplio
Address: 25 Staikopoulou St.
Postal Code: 21100
Telephone: +30 27520-21618
URL: http://www.komboloi.gr/

The Museum is located in in Nafplion, Greece, in an 18th century two-story building. There is an exhibit of 400 komboloi findings of the period 1750-1950 with it's historical course. More than 60000 people from around the world have visited the museum to date.

The museum is on the first floor, with the workshop and the retail shop on the ground floor.

In the workshop visitors can watch the making of the kombolois. Old kombolois are being repaired and replicas of old kombolois are being made with hand made beads from solid amber, amber filings (Faturan), bone, shell, horn, crystal. Keyrings are also made from the beads of the kombolois. Finally, the unique komboloi-amulets are made, using ancient knowledge.

In the retail shop of the museum the visitors can purchase :

  1. Replicas of old kombolois of the museum, produced in the museum's workshop. Prices begin at €6.
  2. Authentic old kombolois of the period 1850-1950.
  3. Keyrings made with the beads of the kombolois.
  4. Authentic amulets produced in the workshop of the museum and others made in various Greek or foreign monasteries.

Fortress of Palamidi

 Fortress of Palamidi

The castle of Palamidi lies on a high hill (216m. a.s.l.) to the east of Acronauplia which was first fortified by the Venetians during the second Venetian occupation of the area (1686-1715). It is a typical baroque fortress, based on the plans of the engineers Giaxich and Lasalle. In 1715 it was captured by the Turks and remained under their control until 1822, when it was liberated by the Greeks.

The most important monuments of the site are:

  • The Castle. Venetian defensive structure dated to the beginning of the 18th century. It consists of eight bastions surrounded by walls. A long stairway reinforced with small battlements starts at the foot of the NW slope and leads up to the fortress on the top of the hill.
  • Church of St. Andrew, built in one of the bastions of the fortress. It is a barrel-vaulted church with the eastern half built under one of the arches supporting the walls. Its free-standing part is two-aisled.
  • The prison of Kolokotronis. One of the bastions, the so-called "Miltiades" was used as the prison cell of Theodoros Kolokotronis, a hero of the Greek Revolution.

Information

Telephone: +30 27520 28036

Tickets

  • Full: €4
  • Reduced: €2

Free admission days

  • 6 March (in memory of Melina Mercouri
  • 5 June (International Enviroment Day)
  • 18 April (International Monuments Day)
  • 18 May (International Museums Day)
  • The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
  • Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
  • National Holidays
  • The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September (when the first Sunday is holiday, then the second is the free admission day.)
  • 27 September, International Tourism Day

Reduced admission for:

  • Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65
  • Students from countries outside the E.U.

Free admission for:

  • Journalists
  • Members of the ICOM-ICOMOS
  • Persons possessing a free admission card
  • Persons under 19
  • Soldiers carrying out their military service
  • Tour guides
  • University students from Greece and the E.U.

Peloponnesian Folklore Foundation

Peloponnesian Folklore Foundation

To celebrate its 32 years a new reshuffling led to a larger museum shop which includes a grocery store, a perfume shop, a bookshop and as always gifts in new and older creations, an exhibition with the emphasis on "The Greek town: Nafplion 1822-1922" and an introductory show-case presenting heteroclite museum items in a daring free installation in order to emphasize the flexibility of its collecting philosophy.

This museological proposal was sporadically presented in the Nafplion Museum from 1999 up to January 2006 and in "The Ptychoseis" exhibition of the 2004 Cultural Olympiad at the new Benaki Museum.

Address

V. Alexandrou 1, Nafplion, Argolis, Greece, P.C. 21100

Information

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
+30 - 27520 28947
+30 - 27520 27960
web http://www.pli.gr

Opening hours

  • Daily: 09.00-15.00 (closed on Tuesday) & 18.00-21.00 (closed on Sunday)
  • Closed: 1st and 6th of January, Easter, 1st of May, Christmas

Tickets

  • Full admission : 2 €

Reduced admission:

  • persons over 65
  • an adult accompanying a child

Museum Tour: 3 €

Free admission

  • May 18th (International Museum Day)
  • European Days of Cultural Heritage (at the end of September)
  • Hellenic Ministry of Culture card holders
  • Students and persons under 18
  • ICOM members
  • Members of Museum Friends Foundations
  • Academics and teachers
  • Journalists
  • Guides
  • Families with three or more children
  • Persons serving in the armed forces
  • For disabled persons and an escort

Archaeological Museum of Nafplion

Archaeological Museum of Nauplion

Category: History & Archaeology
Prefecture: Argolida City: Nafplio
Telephone: +30 27520-27502, 27520-24690
Fax: +30 27520-24690

The Archaeological Museum of Nauplion was erected in 1713, by the Venetian Providor Sagredos, during the second Venetian occupation of the area, in order to become the arsenal of the Venetian fleet. The exhibition is housed on the first and second floors while the ground floor is occupied by the offices of the 4th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities. In the future, the offices will be tranferred to another building in the vicinity, and the ground floor of the museum will house temporary exhibitions organized by the Ephorate.

The museum contains collections of :

  • Palaeolithic and Mesolithic finds (up to 8000 B.C.) from the Caves of Franchthi and Kephalari
  • Neolithic finds from Kephalari, Dendra and Nauplia (6000-2800 B.C.)
  • Early Helladic finds from Asine, Tiryns and Berbati (2800-2000 B.C.)
  • Middle Helladic finds from Asine and Berbati (2000-1600 B.C.),
  • Late Helladic (Mycenaean) finds from Asine, Berbati, Dendra, Kazarma, Midea, Nauplia and Tiryns (1600-1100 B.C.)
  • Geometric finds from Asine, Nauplia, Tiryns and private colections (1100-700 B.C.)
  • Archaic finds from Tiryns, Myloi and Corinthia (700-480 B.C.)
  • Classical finds from Tiryns, Halieis, and private collections (480-323 B.C.),
  • Hellenistic finds from Asine and Mycenae (323 - 146 B.C.) and Roman finds from Mycenae (up to ca. 500 A.D.)

Tickets

  • Full admission: € 2
  • Reduced admission: € 1 (students from countries outside the E.U., citizens of the E.U. aged over 65)

Free admission

  • Persons under 18
  • University students

Contact

AGAMEMNON HOTEL

Address: Akti Miaouli 3, Nafplio, Argolis
P.C.: 21100
Email: nafplioagamemnon@gmail.com
Phone: +302752028021, +302752025562
Fax: 2752028022

Reservation